Vacancy - SPAW Programme Assistant
UNEP-CAR/RCU - VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Appointment against this post is on a local basis. External candidates will be considered only when no suitable internal candidate from the duty station is identified. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred to take up the appointment. Staff members are subject to the authority of and assignment by the Secretary –General. All staff is expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
ORGANIZATION LOCATION: United Nations Environment Programme-Caribbean Regional Coordinating Unit
STATUS: Fixed Term
Duty Station: Kingston, Jamaica
Functional Title: Programming Assistant
Starting Date: 17 April 2011 or soonest thereafter
Closing Date: 17 March 2011
Under the overall supervision of the Programme Officer, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Assist Programme Officer in timely preparation and monitoring of project proposals or documents, and Memoranda of Understanding Draft Terms of Reference for consultants
- Assist in promoting Specially Protected Areas and Wildlife (SPAW) Protocol/ Programme
- Assist in drafting PowerPoint presentations and charts/ tables in Excel
- Liaise with Regional Activity Centre for the SPAW Programme and the Guadeloupe office regarding Programme activities
- Review documents in Spanish/ French produced by the Regional Coordinating Unit and provide un-official translation from Spanish/ French to English
- Maintain list serve for SPAW Regional Programme
- Disseminate information to Contracting Parties (governments) and partner organizations
- Assist in fundraising to support the activities of SPAW
Coordinate information flow:
- Process and draft routine correspondence and responses in English, Spanish and French
- Assist in increasing efficiency and effectiveness of the information flow
- Assist in updating of webpage of UNEP-CAR/RCU and/ or the project webpage
- Handle inquiries pertaining to the substantive office, receive telephone calls, answer routine queries and receive visitors.
- Respond to requests for information from other UN agencies and other local, regional and international organizations
Assist in work organization and meetings:
Assist in the organization of supervisor’s work
Make travel arrangements, hotel bookings, and prepare documentation for missions
Assist in the logistics of national and international meetings and conferences
Assist participants with travel arrangements, and accommodation
Prepare travel requests and security clearance and eventual travel to the meetings
Assist in arranging meetings, processing documents, typing agenda, compiling list of participants, working documents, and sending out invitations
Perform other duties as assigned
- Familiarity with the functions and organization of the work unit and of the organizational structure and respective roles of Branches and related units of the Division.
- Demonstrated ability to implement administrative policies, processes and procedures generally and in particular those related to travel, programming and budgeting.
Planning and organizing:
- Demonstrate organizational skills and ability to establish priorities
- Ability to plan, coordinate own work and manage conflicting priorities
- Good communication (spoken and written) skills including ability to draft/ edit a variety of correspondence and other communication and summary notes.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Completion of secondary school is required. Supplementary training Secretarial, administration and office management is desirable
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Minimum of five years progressive work experience in secretarial, administrative and office management is desirable. Completion of secondary school education or its equivalent is required. Ability to plan, coordinate, and monitor own work plan, and have a great sense of accuracy. The applicant must have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, as well as excellent oral and written communication skills; have client orientation and satisfaction as part of day to day duties. Experience in a multi-national organization is an asset.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of French and Spanish would be an asset
Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive assessment which may be followed by a competency-based interview
Proficiency in the use and operation of the computer, including advanced skills in Windows and Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) is required.
Remuneration: G-5 Step 1 Jamaican Dollars 1,836,947 gross per annum changing subject to satisfactory service in accordance with the schedule of increments, set out in the Staff Regulations and Staff Rules.
All UN Staff please apply directly through:
All external applicants please apply directly through:
Deadline for applications: 17 March 2011