Projects and Activities
Promotion of the LBS Protocol
LBS/RAC-Cimab has organized and/or participated in National Workshops for the Ratification and Promotion of the LBS Protocol in the following countries:
- Cuba: July 2005
- Nicaragua: March 2006
- Panama: September 2006.
- Haiti: May 2007
- Dominican Republic: August 2007
- Santa Lucia (for the English speaking countries): July 2006
The “Know-Why Network”project
[To enhance the capacity of the countries of the Wider Caribbean Region to implement the LBS Protocol and collaboration between institutions (LBS/RAC-Cimab, LBS/RAC-IMA and Invemar) to establish a regional network in marine science and technology]
- LBS/RAC-Cimab participated at the first Project Steering Committee Meeting (December 2005) and with the elaboration of the workplan an budget of the Project
- LBS/RAC-Cimab organized and hosted in April 2006 the “Regional Workshop on Coastal and Marine Water Quality Indicators and Methodologies to determine Pollutant Loads in the Wider Caribbean”
- Enhancement of the water quality laboratory at Cimab through the acquisition of new equipment.
Use and application of Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Project “Capacity Building in GIs at LBS/RAC-Cimab” (January 2006 – September 2007)
- Setup of a GIS lab with all technical facilities
- Training in GIS and data capture
- National Workshop “Application of GIS for the environment: experiences and local cooperation”
- Case study “: Sources of Pollution in the Havana Bay Basin, implementation of a GIS”
- Two LBS/RAC-Cimab staff participated at the “Region Workshop on Strategic Approaches to Application of GIS tools in Support of Planning for Watershed and Coastal Areas Management” of the IWCAM project (www.cep.unep.org/iwcam), Dominica, 6-7 July 2007
- LBS/RAC-Cimab organised and hosted the Regional Meeting on “Development of an Information Strategy for the Management of Data and Information Generated under the AMEP sub-programme and CEP “Havana, Cuba, 11 and 12 of October 2007.
Update of CEP Technical Report No. 33
[Regional Overview of Land-based Sources of Pollution in the Wider Caribbean region]
- Methodologies to use were discussed and approved (Venezuela, March 2005)
- Regional course on Methodologies to Determine Pollutant Loads to the Pacific, September 2006
- Communication with the National and Technical Focal Points established to ask information
- Data and information was collected during National Promotional Workshops for the LBS Protocol
- Draft report to be finished by second half of 2008
Participation of LBS/RAC-Cimab at other workshops and events:
- National Workshop on the Management of Sludge and Residual Wastewaters, Guyana, March 2006.
- Workshop for the Planning of Regional Projects, Cuba, April 2006. IAEA
- Workshop to propose the project “Safe Foods” in Latin America, June 2006. Austria. IAEA & FAO
- Workshop on Regional Recreational Water Quality in the OECS, St. Lucia, July 2006
- Regional course on Methodologies to Determine Pollutant Loads to the Pacific, Costa Rica. September 2006. OPS-CEPIS, COCATRAN
- Regional Strategy for Latin America and the Caribbean. Bolivia, March 2007. IAEA
- Regional Workshop “Methodologies, References and Proceedings used for the Project RLA-7012” Venezuela, May 2007. IAEA
- Regional course on the application of nuclear techniques for the management of coastal zones in the wider Caribbean Region (project RLA-7012, Cuba, September 2007. IAEA.